Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day and Night, Night and Day

My blog title post has two meanings today...

It's amazing how, at less than 2 months old, I can already see major differences between Rebekah and Hannah at the same age. Though my sister and I are essentially night and day, for some reason it never occurred to me that I would detect some of my daughters' differences this early. So many things- and Rebekah can't even talk yet!

First of all, they look different. Hannah was long and skinny, not a fat roll to be seen. She had some darkish hair when she was born, but it fell out rather quickly and was soon replaced with the wispy blonde hair she has now. Rebekah is average length and, to me, a chunky monkey! She has fat rolls on her legs and adorable chubby cheeks. While she is not large compared to many friends' babies, she certainly is when compared to her big sister! She has a full head of dark hair that shows not signs of disappearing, just like I did when I was a baby; it is already thickening up in the back and everything.

Other things:

Hannah liked to be cradled in front of you when you held her. Rebekah likes to be up on your shoulder.

Hannah was soothed with sucking her thumb. Rebekah needs her paci.

Hannah took a few days to learn how to nurse, but then ate like a champ every single feeding after she figured it out. Rebekah ate perfectly the first attempt, but still pops on and off constantly while she is eating now (which makes it harder to nurse her in public, I might add). I am glad that my first nursing experience was with Hannah, b/c Rebekah has been more frustrating- I am thankful that I am confident in what I am doing since I've done it successfully before.

Hannah cried a lot the first few weeks and then became super content/easy-going baby. Rebekah was an angel the first two weeks and now seems to think it is her job to scream pretty much anytime she's awake.

Hannah hated tummy time. Rebekah seems to think it is fantastic.

But the biggest difference between these two is, literally, Day and Night. Oh.my.word.

So, Hannah was very consistent (still is); once she did something once, she pretty much continued doing so. The first time Hannah slept more than 6 hours at night, she had it figured out- she never slept less than that ever again. She slept through the night one time and never woke up to eat at nighttime again. Rebekah, on the other hand, likes to syke us out. She will sleep in 2-3 hr shifts one night and 6 hr shifts the next. OR, her mostest veryest favoritest thing to do is to sleep for a few hours, wake up to eat and then NOT GO BACK TO BED FOR 3-4 hours...at 3am...when her sister is going to wake me up at 7am by announcing that her "window is awake, Mommy! the sun is up!" This is why I have accomplished very little socially in the last two months :-p

It never occurred to me that I'd have to train my child what is night and what is day b/c Hannah did it automatically. Sure, we had to train her to go to bed at a certain time, but that was straight forward. Getting a 2 month old to go back to sleep at 3am when she's wide awake...not so simple, especially when her 2 yr old sister is asleep and Daddy has to get up for work in 3 hours.

So, yeah, this got a tad more complain-y than I had planned, but I'm just being honest! I do want to remember these things and I am looking forward to finding out other differences as my girls' personalities continue to develop and as Rebekah continues to pass through the stages Hannah has already finished.

I hope to write more soon, but since Hannah is only napping 1 or 2 days a week now, its hard to find the time to punch out a blog post (especially since we all know I don't have the ability to be short-winded).

2 comments:

Laura Robinson said...

Love the honesty!!!

My girls were very much different too, and still are. in SO many ways. Sometimes I just have to sit back and laugh when one just got a spanking and is screaming bloody murder and her sister is laughing and running around playing.

I had a much easier time with the sleeping schedule with just one because I could literally just sleep when she slept, but when you have a 2 year old to keep up with during daylight hours it isn't quite as easy.
I still say though, that my life transition from 0 to 1 was much more challenging than 1 to 2, let's pray that 2 to 3 doesn't throw me for a loop!

Shannon Dingle said...

If you need any help with trying to be short-winded...um, don't ask me. That is all.