Wednesday, January 7, 2009

30 weeks, and other stuff

Today marks my officially being 30 weeks along in my pregnancy.

A few fun notes:

- I have the worst cankles you have ever seen. I have always vainly loved my calves, feet and ankles. So defined, so well-shaped. When other parts of me didn't look so hot, I could check out my ankles and be a pretty happy camper. But now, my lower legs look like tree trunks that morph into chubby feet towards the end. I am going around wearing compression 'socks' that are so dark/thick they remind me of the hose that senior citizen ladies wear. So, I have old and fat ankles/feet. Yay!

- My complexion apparently has not gotten the 'aged' memo. My face has broken out in such ways that are reminiscent of the lovely age of 13. Now, I've never had beautiful skin to speak of, but the acne was sorta kinda thinking about starting to tone down over the last few years. It is now back with a vengeance. My positive spin, however, is that it makes me look even younger. So young, in fact, that several nosey strangers have pointed out that I am too young to be having a baby...wow...thanks for letting me know. Phew! How could I go on without that information...who knew that suddenly being 24 was 'too young' to give birth?

- I THINK Hannah had the hiccups this morning. My girlfriends have been telling me for weeks that this is the 'super cool' thing you feel with the baby. Well, I think that's what I was feeling this morning. If not, it was still funny to feel her basically do tiny bounces at regular intervals for about 5 minutes. Then I started to feel bad for her, because, honestly, hiccups are cute with babies, but totally annoying when you are the person experiencing them!

- She is still moving around a ton; very positive! It is a wonderful feeling when you are distracted and you feel a little (or big!) jolt. When that happens, I feel rather serene and just want to sit down and smile about life. I think I might have a small grasp on how Mary felt when it says she "kept all these things and pondered them in her heart".

Non-pregnancy info:
- John started his new job this past Monday. He says the folks there are super nice and he already has projects to work on. That's what we like to hear!
- I paid a mortgage bill for the first time last weekend. SCARY. That is all.
- We were blessed to receive a free (barely) used, really nice gas grill from a lady John used to do yard work for. I think at least half of our meals since moving in have been grilled. So delicious and, bonus, John loves doing it! (something about being manly...)
- Speaking of John, he sprained his bum ankle (from an injury incurred in Zimbabwe) pretty badly the other day. He has to wear a hardcore brace for 2 months!! We are both pretty hilarious hobbling/waddling around the house for different reasons :)
- We do not have internet at home. And, for now, we are ok with that.
- I am supposed to be working, seeing that I'm at work and all...

On that note, adieu.

4 comments:

Jenelle Leanne said...

Leiana's hiccups always felt like tiny bounces too, and she got them so often that I started to wonder if they were really hiccups or just her bouncing a lot... then she was born, and she got the hiccups ALL the time... so I figure that's what it was before she was born too! :-)

Thanks for the update! So excited you're at 30 weeks! This is the home stretch (though I know that from now on each week starts to look longer and longer...) isn't that encouraging?! We should get together sometime soon!

Shannon Dingle said...

I just have one cankle ... okay, it's a sprained ankle, so it's not really a cankle! :) I didn't get cankles with her until about 35-36 weeks or so, and I'm hoping they'll stay away until then this time too!

And, yes, I also get lovely pregnancy acne that hangs around until about a month after giving birth. I think it's a little better this time around, but I usually prefer not to wear makeup but feel like it's a bit of a necessity to cover up my not-so-lovely complexion!

And I also must add a comment about the grilling ... yep, it's a man thing. Lee doesn't mind cooking inside, but he kind of gets excited about cooking if it's grilling outdoors. Even if it's cold or rainy or otherwise gross out. Boys are weird!

Madd For Life said...

Oh how I miss feeling her! Now she just kicks me on the outside. lol. You look AMAZING, I don't care what you say about your "cankles" (btw, I hate to tell you that it gets worse... My feet swelled SO BIG about a month before she was born, don't worry, they go down. lol)

It's been so long since I've talked to you. I'm glad things are going so well :) I'm rootin for you both - keep us updated on how things are going!

-Kelly, Rich & Ava

Kristen said...

Ooh I like hearing your 30-week update! Not too much longer until little Hannah is here! I'm so excited for you and John!

I kind of guessed with Laurel's hiccups too. I was like well I guess these are hiccups when I felt those tiny bounces at regular intervals. You'll probably start feeling them a lot more.

What a big and exciting year for you and John! I love reading your updates! We're going to have to get together one of these days since we're so close now!