

I like it, but I feel like this book is misnamed. It isn’t really a bible, as it goes from creation to Noah to the tower of Babel and then skips to Jesus rising from the grave. (Oh yeah, and there is one picture of the nativity scene right after Adam and Eve sin that I feel would be confusing to children. The point is to say that because of the sin they committed, we now needed a Savior and Jesus was born to fulfill that purpose. I get that, but skipping right back to Noah working on the ark on the next page is a bit confusing since Jesus didn’t actually arrive in human form for several thousand years!) So, though the stories in it are true, I don’t feel that it’s complete enough to truly be considered a bible.
The book covers the topics of the order of creation, the Garden of Eden and sin, dinosaurs, Noah and the flood (and subsequent fossil creation), the Tower of Babel and people groups, and Jesus being the door to heaven. In typical New Leaf fashion, there are lots of dinosaurs scattered throughout the book, which I mostly liked. Most bibles/children’s story books act like they never existed, but Ken Ham has them boarding the ark with the rest of God’s creation, which is much more likely what happened.
I hated that it seemed a little subpar in terms of being professionally published. I feel like this happens fairly often in Christian publishing and it’s a shame. The entire book rhymes and some of them were pretty hokey. Also, it felt like they were desperate to put as many dinosaurs as possible in the book just to prove a point and it just ended up being distracting.
The final test: Hannah LOVES it. She is constantly asking for, “Bye-Bul?? BIIIIBLE?” , wants to see the “Way-uhl” (one picture on one page and we must always find it!), and loves carrying it around with its little handle (a nice touch). I’m all for getting this little girl to love the bible (well, at least a few of it’s stories) at a young age, so of course I always oblige. I hope this book will mean even more to her as she grows up and can understand the stories in it more fully.
Thanks to New Leaf Publishing for providing me with a copy of this book. They only asked for an honest review. All opinions are mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment