So I had the idea a few weeks ago that it would be fun to have a ‘big girls only’ day with Hannah. We would do things that are hard to do with little ones around, etc. Then I thought it would be even more fun to do it with a few fellow big-girl friends :) Because aren’t most things better that way?
I figured their mommies would agree to give them away for the day and spend time with their little ones ;) Rebekah spent the night with Grandma so Hannah could sleep in as long as she wanted.
Excited! Eating her big girl breakfast of bagel w/ pumpkin cream cheese and raspberries.
Buckling herself into the ‘real back’ of the vehicle, since we were off to pick up her friends.
They really got a kick out of being in the car all together, which I thought they would.
All smiles :) They chatted the entire ride, as all good girlfriends do.
When we got home, they played outside a bit.
Then we showed the house to Grace Elizabeth, since she’d never been here before. They piddled around the playroom for a while and then asked for tinkertoys. Absolutely! That is definitely a big girl toy! They were enraptured with this for quite some time. They mostly made flowers, trees, and gardens b/c, you know, they are 4 and 5 yr old girls. There was one castle attempt, but, sadly it proved futile, as the architects kept trying to make it too tall a structure.
After that, we headed up stairs and they played with lots of random stuff while I got our craft ready. This was VeggieTales ‘make up a story’ time.
“Our craft” being, I threw pretty much all my art supplies onto the table and said, “go for it!”. Not surprisingly, stickers were the biggest hit. The stencils were also used extensively.
They went off and played again, this time in the baby’s room, which is like halfway put together. They kept pretending to be babies and taking care of each other. It sounded cute from the kitchen where I was preparing lunch. At some point I let them jump on Rebekah’s bed (which is a mattress on the floor) and they thought it was AWESOME.
BTW, if you ever really need little girls to eat, you should definitely serve cheese/turkey crescent roll ups, goldfish, and applesauce. Oh, and it doesn’t hurt for the goods to be served on Hello Kitty plates with pink polka dot napkins. They will be impressed, trust me.
Also, at lunch we had an extensive conversation about God (does he eat food? etc) and Heaven. Totally initiated by them. I was just glad I knew the answers to all their questions this time! They were highly excited about how pretty and sparkly heaven will be. Me too, girls :)
Somehow as lunch wrapped up, they all ended up with pj pants on their heads, hopping around like bunnies. They did this for the LONGEST time. This is how you know most of what they did was self-directed. I would never have been that clever :)
After some extensive bunny rabbit-ing, we made chocolate chip cookies together and they gobbled them up with their milk. They were so cute :)
After further bunny rabbit-ing and a bit much ‘baby crying’ from the pretend babies (yes, mostly my daughter…I think she won’t be surprised when her baby brother cries a lot…it’s pretty much what she did the entire time she was pretending to be the baby), I decided it was movie time. Cinderella was decided upon.
They automatically did this. It was adorable.
When I came back a minute later to check on them, they were under the covers. More adorable. And, yes, Leiana was still clinging to her bunny ears, as she did until about 5 minutes before her mom got here.
They ended up watching about 15 minutes of Cinderella and then running around acting out the show themselves. They kept trading who was what character. Apparently the messenger who brings the ball invitation is a highly sought-after position. Now we know. Anyway, I was proud of them for choosing that option over the vegging to a movie option. Totally their idea! I was happy to let them lay there :)
They played a bit more, dressed up and went “trick or treating” with me being the candy-giver-outer (again, totally their idea), and then I had them clean up b/c, ya know, the playroom looked like it had been hit by a pink and sparkly dress-up tornado. Then I turned on a TV show, which they did all seem to want to watch, which was good b/c I think they needed the down time, just holding still. At the end of the show, the mommies showed up to take their big girls home.
Did you have fun during Big Girl Day today?!?
3 comments:
Leiana has continued to wear pants on her head periodically since she came home! :)
I need the turkey/crescent roll making instructions.
Thank you! Leiana had SO MUCH FUN!
Your mom cool points just soared with this! What a sweet idea!!
how fun!
Post a Comment