Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Just your average 3 year old's conversation


You never know what's going to go down around this house during baby sister's naptime.

This picture = just for fun :) My girls playing under the sheets on my bed a few weeks ago after church.

Anyhoo, hilarity, theology, and panic-inducing fear all in one little 2 minute exchange:
 

Does Nana have a boyfriend?

No.

Did he die?

Um, no.

What happened?

Well, Nana is married to Papa, so she doesn’t need a boyfriend.

Oh, did Papa’s mommy die?

Yes.

Where is she?

(We are uncertain as to my grandmother’s salvation, so I did not feel comfortable telling her she was in heaven) Well, she’s gone. When you die, you are gone from the world. But if you love Jesus like Mommy and Daddy do, you get to live in heaven with Jesus when you die.

But I don’t want to die.

Ok, you probably won’t for a long time, but all the people in the whole world die at some point.

But why do we have to die?

Well, because we all do bad things. Remember I told you about sin? Since we all have sinned, we have to die sometime. But, if we love Jesus and have Him in our hearts, when we die, we get to go to heaven and live with Him forever and ever!

But sometimes we don’t do bad things; sometimes we do good things.

Yes, but we have done lots of sins too.

But I don’t LIKE dying!

I know, sweetie, and you probably won’t die for a long time until you are much older, I hope.

But I’m already THREE! (starting to panic)


It never ceases to amaze me, but the kid asks some VALID questions. I mean, c'mon, why do we have to die? Seriously? I'm just glad I knew the answer to that one. It took me a few minutes the other day when she asked me to define "soul". I blame hymns (It is Well with My Soul) for that one! At the end of the conversation, the "but I'm already Three!" panic was so funny/cute/innocent to me, but so real to her, I wasn't sure what emotion I was feeling!








Mmmmm, I love this munchkin so much. I pray that her little heart is becoming tender and ready to hear the Holy Spirit's whisper soon!

1 comment:

becca Simmons said...

Love that conversation! Kids say the cutest things is definitely becoming a theme around our house too. Love these little ones and their hearts!!