Thursday, May 31, 2012

“Preschool”

As most of you know, we don't send Hannah to preschool. This is not a post about why we don't, but rather how we don't :)

Thank the Lord for printable packs. Took me a long time to embrace these because they intimidated me. But, now that I'm comfortable with them, they are a lifesaver! I have realized that you don't have to print then entire pack (duh, I know, but it just didn't occur to me) and that I just use parts of them. I will go through and pick out which pages Hannah is ready for and that will still make sense on my black and white printer.

Each pack has a little theme. So far, we have done: Zoo Animals, Bugs, F is for Flower, Water, Rainbows, Birthday, Valentine's Day. For the longest time I was saving them all on my computer for Rebekah and later kids, but I realized there will always be more and my collection was getting a big insane, so I decided to take pictures of the work she had done and then toss the files.

When we do a pack, we hang the completed work on the bay window in the kitchen and leave it up for admiration/review for a while. Hannah really likes showing off her skillz to Daddy, grandparents, etc. I think it's good for her to know that what she's worked hard on is pretty cool stuff and worth displaying.

 

Posing with part of her Zoo pack. Cheese!

Some of the skills practiced:

Pre-writing

Scissors

Gluing 

Patterns

Counting

Colors (not challenging, but a good review)

Starts with which letter?

Which is different?

Smallest/Biggest

Sorting

Some examples of what Hannah has worked on:

 

Counting cards with number clothespins.

Counting. Drawing circles (not sure if you can see them, but her circles have really gotten good lately!). I also had her help me hang them up in order.

 

From March. Birthday theme. Pre-writing. Amazing to see how she’s progressed since then!

This is from early April. I colored the “Rr is for Rainbow” so our window would be pretty :). Pre-writing. Colors. Gluing. Cutting. Shapes.

 

From late April. Probably my favorite pack so far: F is for Flower and Water. This one was quite involved. Tracing. Thumbprints on F is for Flower. Patterns. Pre-writing. Sorting big and little F. Cutting. Counting. Which is big/small. Which is different. Starts with what letter. Find the Fs.

 

 

More from the same pack. Includes the water cycle. Hannah likes to say “evaporation” any chance she gets now and was especially impressed when Daddy evaporated water out of a hot pan on the stove. Counting. Also, I have started drawing on the windows with special crayons. It’s a big hit :)

 

Currently in our queue, we have Dinosaurs, Frogs, Pizza, Spring and Beach! Hannah is super pumped about the dinosaurs, so I think that will be next.

2 comments:

ashley said...

Looks like miss Hannah has learned so much, and has a wonderful teacher!

Jenelle Leanne said...

Can you email me the link again to where you get these "packs"? Because now that we're done with the letter posters I think Leiana would enjoy tackling some of these.