Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My little (I mean, big!) helper

Hannah makes sure that everyone knows she is a "big girl" and not a baby. She does seem to be growing up so quickly. She is becoming more independent and I will let her go longer and longer without checking on her. Her presence around the house is truly quite helpful at times and I wanted to document what 'chores' she does so I can look back later and remember. And, let's be honest, this will be a good record in 2.5 years when I'm trying to get Rebekah to do stuff around the house. "Well, your big sister did it when she was your age..." :-D

So, what Hannah does to help out:

KITCHEN:
- puts away clean silverware and various kitchen gadgets/utensils; also puts away the pots/pans/lids
- bring dishes from the dishwasher to Mommy to put away (she knows where everything goes)
- gets herself water from the fridge- This makes Mommy very happy...
- cleans up her bowl/plate after a meal and places it on the counter, half the time with prompting, the other half without
- helps me cook by bringing me ingredients she can reach and by "reading" recipes with me
- sometimes gets herself a snack

BATHROOM:
- can go potty alone, although she often wants company- I do very little other than stand in the doorway and cheer :-)
- wipes up small spills from the tub
- cleans up her bath toys
- puts laundered washcloths away
- brushes her own teeth (and then let us go behind her and do it again...but its good practice)

BEDROOM:
- cleans up toys and places on the shelf
- picks out clothes and gets dressed
- puts her shirts on hangers and hangs them up
- hangs up pants/skirts after Mommy puts them on hangers
- puts her undies away in their little basket on top of her dresser

OTHER:
- brings me/Rebekah diapers, wipes, dirty diaper bags (aka food lion bags), toys, spit-up rags, etc.
- picks up sticks and pine cones in the yard
- loves putting my socks and undies away in their proper drawers (I have no idea why, but I'll take it!)
- wipes off TV, back door, kitchen windows
- pretends to sweep with her kid-sized broom and sometimes ends up with a nice little pile for me to get up!

Now, to clarify, I'm saying these are the things she can do, not that she necessarily does them all all the time! No, I am often reminding her and asking her and threatening her (haha) about these things because I know she is capable of them!

She really is a good little helper bug when she's in the right mood. I can't believe my first-born is growing up so fast!

No comments: