So when we started getting the Produce Box a few months ago, I loved receiving all the fresh fruits and veggies. I wanted to preserve some of them for cooler weather, but only had so much freezer space. So I looked into canning and found out how NOT intimidating it is. It is not something I ever thought I’d get into, but I have really enjoyed it!
I am canning them in a big pot on my stove, no special canner. I did buy a canning funnel and a jar lifter (absolutely essential to not injuring yourself!). If I get really into it, I may invest in a pressure canner so I can do foods like corn and beans.
So far, I have canned 12 pints of peach slices, 12 pints of salsa, 8 jelly jars of peach jam, and 10 jelly jars of strawberry jam.
As John said, when you think about it, canning is really “me”. It’s frugal. It involves food (and really good fresh food, at that!). And, my favorite, it’s kinda nerdy. The sealing of the jars is really a chemistry lesson, what with the heat and pressure and such! PV=nRT, anyone?
I’m hoping I won’t lose steam (haha, I’m so punny) as the summer draws to a close. I’m thinking quarts and quarts of homemade applesauce in the fall! YUM!
4 comments:
Let me count the reasons I love Kristen:
1. She's good with money
2. She loves food
3. She works the ideal gas law into a blog post
Love this!
Love! I didn't do Produce Box because I didn't think we would eat it all. Thanks for this "duh!" and the knowledge that it is do-able!
By the way, I told Jason about this post, and he wants to know if you've calculated what your rate constant is for your ideal gas law. :)
Post a Comment