Thursday, July 14, 2011

Don't Get Overwhelmed, Get Lazy



Sort of :)

Someone came to our house the other day and said something like, "wow, how do you do all this and not get stressed out?" I felt a little silly, because I really don't do all that much - in fact, I think I do far less than the average SAHM! Anyways, my response to her was the blogpost title, "Eh, I don't get overwhelmed, I get lazy." Probably confused her...

Here's the thing - I don't get stressed out very easily. My husband might beg to differ, but that's only because he is THE most laid-back person on the planet, so it's not really a fair comparison.

When I feel like I have too much to do, it typically doesn't bother me, because...I just do less. Yes. I am not a super mom and I'm definitely not a super housewife.

Times when I don't feel well or I just want to concentrate on being a fun mom (rather than a 'good' one- what does that mean, anyway?), I have chosen to let certain things go. As I near the end of this pregnancy, I am getting less and less sleep. I am very tired most all of the time. So, here's the deal: I have kinda let lots of stuff slide and that doesn't bother me one bit. Because I have thought about it ahead of time and prioritized stuff, I feel that it's OK.

I have decided, that at particular times of life, it's OK to be lazy about certain, pre-determined items. Basically, everything but laundry and food. Because you gotta eat and you certainly gotta wear clothes :) So, if I feel like doing nothing else in a day, I make sure we have a decent dinner and that everyone has at LEAST one set of clothes for tomorrow!

( That being said, you can also be lazy with your non-laziness. For example, we have been eating cheese toast and smoothies for lunch like they're going out of style. Who cares if its not creative? It's relatively healthy, super easy, and Hannah is thrilled. As for laundry, I make sure John has clean work clothes and I have enough maternity gear to get me through the next few activities. But, we have lots of towels, so if I can't manage to get stuff done, I'll let those pile up for a while. )

My assistant, who is also clearly disinterested in cleaning the floor...

I am not saying this is how I operate on a normal daily basis, I promise! I do clean my house and I stay on top of the laundry...for the most part ;) But, when certain life events are taking place (good or bad), its nice to have already thought about these things so you don't feel guilty or like a failure when you can't get it all done. Or, worse, run yourself ragged doing it all when you should be spending time with your family or getting some rest.

Finally, here are a few things I'm not OK with getting lazy about, ever:
- disciplining/teaching Hannah
- reading my bible (not saying I don't get lazy about this, just saying I'm not ok with it...)
- spending quality time with John (I will choose sitting with him on the couch over vacuuming the floor any day!)

I hope this made sense! It was something I'd been thinking about and I wanted to put it into writing :)

1 comment:

Jenelle Leanne said...

I like it. I'm gonna steal this idea and use it in my own life!!! (Oh wait... I think I already do...) ;)