Friday, June 3, 2011

Frugal Friday-Haircuts

We figure we've saved over $100 in the past year by me doing at-home haircuts for John. If we ever have little boys, I will definitely be doing their hair myself as well.

I was hesitant at first, but he encouraged me to try, saying at the very worst we could always just trim it down completely and start over. So, I got brave and gave it a shot. The cuts aren't perfect, but they are every bit as good as they would do at a Great Clips or Cost Cutters. And I am getting better and better. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to do it, including trimming his neckline, sideburns, and cutting around his ears (tip: the higher you cut above ears, the longer you can go between cuts because this is the most telling spot for too-long hair on guys). I like that he doesn't have to take the time to go out, wait in line, get a cut, and then drive home. All we do is either go in the basement or the back deck for 20 minutes and we are done. So,we save time as well.

I purchased this razor from Wal-Mart for around $30. Apparently it has come down a tad in price since then. At $15/haircut, it paid for itself after two uses.

I do not do at-home cuts for Hannah because I don't trust myself, but I wait until I get coupons for $6-7 cuts at a Great Clips-type place and then take her. I do the same for myself. I go long periods of time between haircuts, mostly because I'm lazy :), but it does save money! And, when you wait a long time between cuts then its much more obvious when you do it :) I chopped mine off this morning for the first time since October!

No comments: