Thursday, June 9, 2011

Glucose test update

So, I got a call from the nurse at my OB office to fill me in on my lab results related to the 3hr glucose test. The conversation went something like this:

"Thanks for calling, so, do I have gestational diabetes?"
"No..."
"Oh, well, super!"
"But..."
"Oh, man..."

She went on to explain that although I don't have GD (yes, I was fully prepared to be the 'yes, I have this problem and I use all the lingo and acronyms and such' person), one of my numbers, the one taken at the one hour mark, was slightly high and so they want to be extra cautious. It was supposed to be 190 and it was 196...I don't really know what that means b/c there were no units involved in her explanation :-p, but it doesn't sound all that terrible. I will have to have my blood sugar levels checked at each regular OB appointment until Rebekah is born, but unless we see anything super abnormal, I will be able to control the slight elevation with diet. I'm not exactly thrilled about having all the blood drawn, but, I am really thankful I don't have to do anything more than have a reasonable diet to control the situation.

I made an appointment today to have a diabetes consult at Rex where they will give me eating guidelines. The appointment isn't until next Thursday and when I asked the lady what I needed to do eating-wise in the meantime, she said, "Seriously, the main thing I want from you is to not worry - this really isn't a huge deal, but we want to be extra cautious." Well, I'm all about being extra cautious when I'm pregnant, so I supposed I'm on board with that.

So, long story short, I don't have GD, but I don't get to 'do nothing' either! Oh well! Thankful it's not any worse than it is and praying I'll have the perseverance to stay within my nutritional guidelines until August 22 :)

3 comments:

Jenelle Leanne said...

Hooray you don't have GD!!! Bummer that you have to watch what you eat a bit, but I feel like there's so many rules for what to eat/what not to eat when you're pregnant anyway that it shouldn't be too terribly awful (of course, I could eat way less because most things made me throw up... so I'm just goin' off my own experience here) lol.

Did you find this out before or after the pool?

John/Kristen said...

I found out yesterday, but totally forgot about it (pregnancy brain) until the Rex hospital ppl called this afternoon to set up the consult appointment.

ashley said...

Glad you don't officially have GD. The exact thing happened to me when I was pregnant with Camden. It was like I "almost" had GD. I failed my first test, but passed the 3-hour one, barely. So, Camden was a little bigger at birth (8 lbs 10 oz) than he might have been if I hadn't had "almost" GD. I passed both tests with flying colors with Anderson, and he was a whole pound less than Camden was. I don't know if their weights really are an indicator of the GD stuff, but it's interesting to think about. Anyway, just wanted to let ya know I can relate. :)