Friday, May 20, 2011

Frugal Friday

My frugal tip for today is probably obvious, but regardless, it has saved us lots of money, so I shall include it!

We do not pay for cable. We have an antenna for local channels. When the big digital switch happened a few years ago, we purchased a digital converter box (because our TV is older than we are...yes...) for around $20 after rebate.

Hannah's first time watching our 1982-born TV, complete with rabbit ears.

So, we get a lot more channels than I thought we would and we get even more now with the digital stuff. They are even in high def (which makes no difference on our downstairs TV, but is very cool on the computer monitor/TV in our bedroom).

5.1 - CBS
5.2 - THIS network (old weird movies and the occasional Pink Panther cartoon!)
11.1 - ABC
11.2 - Living Well Network (cooking, decorating, fashion, etc.)
11.3 - Local Weather radar
17.1 - NBC
17.2 - NBC Sports
17.3 - Local Weather radar and forecast
22.1 - CW
22.2 - Country Music videos
28.1 - RDC (formerly UPN)
28.2 - CoolTV, all music videos, all the time - super random
30.1 - TCT
30.2 - TCT 4 Kids (usually)
47.1 - Ion
47.2 - Qubo
47.3 - Ion Life
50.1 - FOX
50.2 - MeTV (kinda like TVLand or Nick@Nite - old TV shows)

Not bad for paying nothing. The only thing I regret is not getting PBS kids, but that's mostly because of our location. Others in the surrounding area get it just fine.

Several months ago, we opted to get Netflix. The lowest plan that has DVD to home and 'watch instantly' is around $10/month. I enjoy watching past seasons of shows. It doesn't matter to me that they aren't current, especially since most of the ones I watch as they come on are on the big networks that I get anyway. Netflix has TONS of kids shows, which are very nice for letting Hannah watch when I need to get something done or she's not feeling well.

I do a lot of hulu as well, but honestly that's just mostly to catch up on the ABC, NBC, etc. shows that we didn't watch with our antenna the night before.

I admit there are times when I wish we had normal TV and I could just flip around and chill out. I used to do this ALL the time; I actually really, really enjoy zoning out and watching TV- a bit too much. I find that when I have things set up the way they are, I am more intentional about what I choose to watch and thus watch what I really like, not just what happens to be on at that moment.

I'd love to hear who else doesn't have cable!

3 comments:

Jenelle Leanne said...

We don't have cable! (We don't even have rabbit ears) :) but you already knew that :)

Shelly said...

I am so addicted to Hulu! We got rid of cable to help the budget and my love for tv. At least it helped one of my issues...

ashley said...

We don't have it either! We also don't have rabbit ears, but we somehow get all the local channels for free. (PBS kids, ABC, NBC, FOX...) We also have netflix and LOVE it. We used to have cable and DVR, which was great, but wanted to save money so we cancelled it all. We are saving about $80/month and it has been totally worth it!