Two and half years ago, when I was pregnant and working full time, John was laid off. And, we were about to close on our house a week later. Fun times.
We were planning to back out (regretfully, because we LOVED the house) of the closing when he was offered another job. It was a lot less money, but we figured out that if I kept working part time (mostly for the health benefits) we would be ok and could still buy the house. It would be tight - and I do mean mega-tight, but we could do it. He was told they couldn't bring him in for a month, so he spent the month working on the house, painting, buying a cheap refrigerator on Craigslist, fixing said fridge, etc. He started work in January and within a month had received a significant pay cut. Thought he hated to do it, he started checking around for other options.
Bummer.
I was still employed full time at this point, but had hoped to at least be home part time (ideally, full time, but, ya know...). My employer and I had worked out a 25/hr week plan that hadn't taken effect yet, but that we were both in agreement on. I was obviously disappointed that this now might not work, but was also thankful for my job. A month and a few days later, I went into labor 2.5 weeks early and Hannah was born. She was 2 days old and John was holding her in his arms when he got a call that he had been given a job that not only paid more than his current position, but also paid a tad more than his original job...and had health benefits comparable to mine.
Two days old.
Wow.
I think John was in shock when he gratefully accepted and told them he was currently in the hospital with his recently c-sectioned (haha) wife and newborn and asked if he could possibly come in next week for orientation instead of tomorrow. His boss at that time was super nice when John told him he was leaving and said he completely understood that he had to care for his family. A few months later that company went under and had to lay everyone off.
We weren't sure how the logistics would work, so I planned go back to work part time for a while to see how things went. Three months later (yes, I'd taken the longest possible FMLA leave) when I was about to go back to work, knowing we were managing to scrape by (thanks in part to my new found couponing skills) and realizing leaving my baby would be unbearable, we decided I would stay home full time. Hard decision, but definitely the right one. I cannot imagine the last 2 years being any other way :)
All that being said, it kinda makes the new budget stuff I found out (no raises at all next year, way more expensive health benefits starting in October, and far less matching on retirement funds) a few days ago seem kinda inconsequential. As John said, "it will sting a little, but I think it's not that bad...you know, compared to the rest of the world."
We have much to be thankful for :)
No comments:
Post a Comment